Welcome to the Fall Prevention eLearning module. This module is intended for all Primary Care Physicians and regulated health professionals assisting physicians in their community practice across Canada. The general knowledge regarding fall prevention will also be of assistance to any physician who in their practice or ambulatory care, treats older adults.
Dr. Frank Molnar
Medical Director of the Regional Geriatric Program of Eastern Ontario Ottawa, Geriatric Assessment Outreach Teams (GAOT) and Champlain Geriatric Emergency Management (GEM)
Program Specialist in Geriatric Medicine of The Ottawa Hospital, Winchester District Memorial Hospital and Bruyère Continuing Care
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the importance of the Fall Prevention program including the human cost of falls, the economic impact of falls and the critical importance of near falls
- Screen for and clinically assess patients for the three P’s (Postural Hypotension, Pain and Pills) using the Staying Independent Checklist and published standardized balance and mobility assessment tools
- Use the Champlain Fall Prevention Algorithm regarding basic assessment of falls
- Assess beyond the 3 three P’s
- Describe Public Health and Osteoporosis Canada Bone Health recommendations
- Explain when, where and how to refer to Specialized Geriatric Services
This activity is an Accredited Self-Assessment Program (Section 3) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the University of Ottawa’s Office of Continuing Professional Development. You may claim a maximum of 2 hours (credits are automatically calculated).
This Group Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been certified by the University of Ottawa’s Office of Continuing Professional Development for up to 2 Mainpro+ credits.
A Certificate of Participation will be generated once you complete the module.
Completion Time: About 1-1.5 hours
Viewing tips and navigation
If viewing this module on a laptop or desktop computer:
- When you click the link to the module, it will open in a new window
- Close the window at any time to exit the module and return to this screen
- Click the module link again to resume where you left off
If viewing this module on an ipad, download the Articulate Mobile Player App.
Click the module link: Please login.